blog & journal | pics & video | prospective student info | quotes | contact info

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Monday, September 04, 2006
Class: Client Consultation Models
"Okay, when I give a euthanasia consult, it goes like this: 'I'm very sorry to tell you this, but Sammy's treatments aren't working, blah blah, I think it's time to let him go, this is what I would do if I were you, blah blah blah, so I think it's time for him to DIE. So what we'll do is the nurse will come in and hold Sammy; she'll hold onto his front right leg and I'll clip a little bit of hair off. Then, I'll introduce the needle into his vein, and I'll inject an anaesthetic solution. Then Sammy will get very sleepy and he'll stop breathing and his heart will stop and he'll have DIED. Then I'll pull out my stethoscope and make sure he's DEAD. He may gasp a bit, or wee, or mess himself, but don't worry, he's DEAD.'

Yeah, it's important that you say 'death' or 'dead' or 'die' at least two or three times. Your clients won't like it, but you need to make sure they know which decision they're making."

2 Comments:

whimper...
Yeah, so me and hte flat-mates were reenacting this one the other day. It still sends me into spasms of laughter. I think I'd make a bad vet. ;)

Add a comment

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _